Sunday, February 25, 2018

A travel to Lemko churches part three

Polska wersja
The church in Czarna at night


  1. The Lemko church in Żegiestów
  2. The Lemko church in Szczawnik
  3. The Lemko church in Muszyna-Złockie
  4. The Lemko church in Jastrzębik
  5. The Lemko church in Czarna
  6. The Lemko church in Uście Gorlickie
  7. The Lemko church in Kwiatoń

The Lemko church in Żegiestów

The temple is not a typical Lemko church because it was built in the Boykos style. What's more, the building is made from stones and bricks. It is not made from the wood like other churches. This unique church is the only one in Poland and one of three in Europe.
The church was built in 1917 - 1925. The building is trifid. It has vestibule, nave and chancel. The roof is covered with sheet metal. There are three turrets. The main altar contains a sculpture of the current church's patron - Saint Anne. Side altars are in gothic revival style with strong folk influence. Stained glass from 1988 is in the chancel. In the nave is a stained glass from 1991. Worth noting is the crucifix that hangs on the outer wall of the chancel. It was made by Zygmunt Janczur.
The building served as a Orthodox church not for a long time, because Greek Catholic Lemko people were missing. In the result, the Greek Catholic church of Saint Michael Archangel was transformed into a Roman Catholic church of Saint Anne and Saint Michael Archangel under the decree of bishop Jan Stepa in 1946 - 1947.

The Lemko church in Szczawnik

It was built in 1841. The log, wooden building has walls covered with shake. The church is trifid with one nave. The turret is a pillar construction. All three turrets have closed roof lantern. Figural-ornamental polychrome was made in 1936 - 1937. The interior of the temple is full of historical objects from 19th century. Some of them are even older, probably from the previous temple that was located at the same place. For example, two late baroque side altars from 1729 with the icon of "The Transfiguration of Our Lord", the second with the paintings of "The Body of the Dead Christ in the Tomb". In the church is also a painting of "The Crucifixion" from 1854 and "Saint Barbara" from 1867. The bell is the oldest monument in the church, it comes from 1707. At ceiling are impressive plant-geometrical decorations. Iconostasis comes from the turn of the 18th and 19th centuries. Near the chancel is a small cabinet with an exposure of Eucharistic books in old church Slavonic language. After the expel of Lemko people in 1945 - 1947, the Orthodox church of St. Demetrius was changed into a Roman church.

The Lemko church in Muszyna-Złockie

The original temple was here in 16th century. The current church was built by Kondracz in 1867 - 1872. It is not a typical Lemko church due to changes in architecture and appearance. The church is built on the cross plan. The cross plan was not used in local churches before. The building is topped by an octagonal cupola on a tambour. It was also something new in that region. Inside, there is a polychrome from 1873. The polychrome exists only in the chancel and in the southern chapel. In other parts of the building, the natural color of the wood was left. This approach was also not typical in Lemko architecture. The late neoclassical iconostasis made by A. M. Bogdański and side altars come from 19th century. The main altar comes from 1962. Near the church is a Greek Catholic cemetery from 19th century. Previously it was a Orthodox church of St. Demetrius, currently it is a Roman Catholic parish of the Nativity of the BMV.

The Lemko church in Jastrzębik

The date of building the church is not certain. It could be in 1837 or 1856 in the place of former temple. The building is oriented, it means that the chancel is directed towards the East to the tomb of Christ in Jerusalem. The building is trifid, it consists the chancel, nave and vestibule. The vestibule is enhanced by the tower surrounded by additional fenced space. It is untypical solution, because usually the tower is a pillar construction. Inside, there is a baroque, almost complete iconostasis from the end of 18th century. Since 1947, the temple is a Roman Catholic church, from the moment when Lemko people were expel as a part of "Wisła" action.

The Lemko church in Czarna

The church was built in 1764. Then it was rebuilt in the first half of the 19th century. The log, wooden building is trifid and oriented. Polychrome comes from the first half of the 19th century. The most valuable is the iconostasis from the 18th century and the baroque altar with icon of "The Virgin Mary with the Child" from the beginning of the 17th century. The church is open all year for the visitors. During the tourist season, from May to October between 9:00 am and 5:00 pm. On Sundays and holidays between 12:00 am and 5:00 pm. Outside of the season, from November to April it is only open upon the request. The guide: 511-209-283, clergy house: 18/351-67-76, email:

The Lemko church in Uście Gorlickie

The church was built in 1786. The building is trifid, built on a square plan. The walls are covered with shake. The upper part of the turret has been planked vertically. The lower part of the planks are decorated with frills. The roofs and the turret have closed roof lanterns, finished with gourd-like helmets. The interior is decorated with figural-ornamental polychrome from 1938. On the ceiling is a presentation of "The Protection of Our Most Holy Lady Theotokos". On the walls are icons of St. Olga and St. Vladimir. Iconostasis from the 18th century separates the nave from the chancel. On the antependia are set the sculptures of Adam and Eve and the prophets. The sculptures were rare set on that place in Lemko iconostasises. After the conservation of the left altar, original paintings were discovered, such as "The Entombment of Christ", "Pentecost", "Resurrection".
From 1947, after expel of the Lemko people, the temple was used as a Roman Catholic church. From 1956, when part of the Lemkos returned, Roman and Greek Catholic services was held in that church. Since 1997, the temple is fully back as a Greek Catholic church of St. Paraskevi. The church is open from 10:00 am to 6:00 pm. On Sunday from 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm. Contact: 18/351-61-27.

The Lemko church in Kwiatoń

The temple was established in the second half of 17th century. The log building has walls and roof covered with shake. The interior is decorated with figural-ornamental polychrome from 1811. Iconostasis was created by M. Bogdański in 1904. The main altar comes from the 19th century. Side altars contain the icon of "Madonna with Child" and "Deposition". Currently, there is a Roman Catholic auxiliary church. The church is open throughout the year: Wednesday 9:00 am - 5:00 pm (break 1:00 pm - 1:30 pm), Thursday - Saturday 9:00 am - 6:00 pm (break 1:00 pm - 1:30 pm), Sunday 12:00 pm - 5:00 pm. On Monday and Tuesday it is closed, but you may contact with the guide to open it: Jan Hyra, phone: 18/351-61-87 or 660-105-342. Admission is free.

No comments:

Post a Comment